Goat Yard landmark dies|
Shortly after 9 AM August 10, 1996, a series of four deafening explosions shook the Detroit morning and the city's most prominent east side landmark, known locally as the "Seven Sisters", collapsed to the earth.
Built at the turn of the century, this electric plant powered the automotive revolution that made Detroit the Motor City. Until the downtown skyscraper building boom of the 1920's its seven stacks were the tallest man made structures in Detroit and Michigan.
The two newer stacks, seen at the left in first frame and known as the "Two Brothers", were not demolished.
Animation and text compliments of Lowell Boileau